For CCSUA Assignments (NCAA and NAIA conferences have their own regulations)
• Masks shall always be worn properly with both the nose & mouth completely covered; such, that neither nostril, nor the tip of the nose is visible.
• Color: No designs. White, blue, black preferred. Avoid bringing your hands to your face & avoid adjusting the mask unless you use sanitizer.
• Umpires are required to wear masks that meet the CDC Guidelines. The type of mask is a personal choice to maintain personal safety.
o Preferred N95 or KN95 masks
o Gaiters not allowed.
o “Kerchiefs” or single layer cotton masks not allowed – do not meet specifications.
• Personal choice
• Cleaning/sanitizing softballs is a conference/university decision.
• At the end of the game, the umpire will not drop/roll toward the home team dugout, but take the softballs to the locker room, or hand to a home team member.
• Where/who gives the umpire the softballs? Depends on the event staff & their responsibilities this season. This is a conference/university decision.
SOCIAL DISTANCE – HIGH CONTACT AREAS OF CONCERN
• Identify locations where we have “close encounters”
o Dugout openings
o Checking bats against the dugout fence/entrance (ask team to line up away from dugout and player traffic)
o Substitution – positioning – distance
o Pre-game with coaches (add reminders of mask & social distancing)
o Coach approaches umpire for “conversation” during contest
• Reminding coaches with “gentle” hand up if they approach too close.
o Do not tell a coach/player what to do; ask them to keep 6’ distance.
• Coach/Umpire pre-game at the plate
• Body language and position when taking subs or chatting (turn at an angle if possible, so as not to speak “AT” each other)
WALKING THE FIELD PRIOR TO THE GAME
• Must wear the mask.
PREGAME WITH COACHES
• Batter’s box lines as guidelines for where everyone stands outside the lines.
• No shaking hand, fist bumps – no contact
• Check that everyone has a mask (do not correct re improperly worn mask on coach/player)
• Minimize dialogue – Lineups & ground rules
• Gloves – personal choice
• Hand sanitizer in pocket
• Bring water bottle? Where would we put it?
• Stay out of the dugouts
ROOMS or NO LOCKER ROOMS
• Rooms with space available for umpires to “social distance”
• Single games – come dressed to contest (Plate Umpire cannot come dressed as they have to put gear on under uniform)
• Mixed gender crews necessitate changing areas when multiple games.
• Doubleheaders – where do we go between games?
• Tournaments – where do we go between games?
• Need for a parking area away from passers-by, students/fans
• Umpires need to change gear & crews are mixed (male/female)