Now is the time to do a short self-assessment of your 2017 college softball umpiring season. If you have not done this before, make it a yearly habit. Start a new document or grab a blank piece of paper and write some thoughts on how you think you did. Do this now, while the season is still fresh in your mind.
Here are a few ideas:
- How did you do on the goals you set for yourself before the season started
- For each of the four pillars of umpiring (rules, mechanics, game management, protocols**), what did you do well and what do you need to work on?
- Overall, how would you rate your 2017 college umpiring:
- Very good season in all areas
- Good overall in most areas
- Good in some areas, need improvement in others
- Need improvement in multiple areas
- What should I work on during the off season to be better prepared for next season?
- What levels do you want to work next year?
** If you are not sure what the Protocols area encompasses, go to the Resources section of our Locker Room and review some of the subjects covered in these articles.
Don’t “fall” into Fall Ball
Now is the time to update availability for fall ball and planning for next season. We want to be prepared for the beginning of the next season now!
Have a great summer. Work summer ball as a “training ground” for your 2018 college season..