Requirements for Working College Softball
Typical minimum requirements include:
- At least 7 years of softball umpiring experience
- At least 5 years working at the highest level of high school and travel ball
- Recommendation from two respected college softball umpire
- 1st and 2nd year umpires will work mostly Community College games.
- You must be on-site by 2pm on weekdays.
- Some travel is expected of 1st and 2nd year umpires. The assignors must cover games in Santa Maria, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Barstow, Lancaster, Palm Desert, and Hemet.
- If you cannot travel or make it to games by 2pm on weekdays, please consider pursuing college umpiring in the future when your schedule allows.
College umpiring is a different environment than high school or Travel Ball. Game management, rules knowledge, correct mechanics on every play…all are minimum requirements. Being able to work with college coaches will require special skills of remaining calm during tense situations and conflict management.
Conferences ask the Assignors to provide umpires who have:
- Athletic ability and movement, and are in top physical condition
- Complete understanding of college rules and mechanics
- Good judgment
- Ability to work with coaches
Conference Assignors are looking for officials who display confidence, credibility, and presence on the field.
If you feel that you can meet all these requirements…
Send John Bennett an email: email@example.com
Include in your email the city in which you live.
If you have any questions about these requirements, send an email to John Bennett:firstname.lastname@example.org